New Year's Resolution

Honored to have my story, "New Year's Resolution," published in Microfiction Monday Magazine today. Thank you, Gayle Towell!


New Year’s Resolution




My resolution was decluttering, but it was disingenuous; I’d carried an unofficial obsessiveness diagnosis for years. Christmas was hardest; unlit pine candles and dusty tomtes flanked an artificial tree that lost needles anyway. I rarely read cards upon receipt; too busy whisking them from envelope to bookshelf. Cleanup was easier -- sweeping into squared piles more efficient -- but the photo of mom and me dancing at the wedding re-emerged. Two Christmases have passed since I phoned goodbye from an airport terminal. “We all die alone, anyway,” she said when I asked to come earlier, but I never believed she meant it.

Comments

Popular Posts